One of my favorite foods is chickpeas! They are extremely versatile and can go in pretty much anything!
Below is a recipe for on the Food Network courtesy of Christine Cushing.
CC’s Greek Chickpea Soup
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock (1.25 litres)
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano (5 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (2 ml)
- 2 bay leaves
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (125 ml)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice, to finish soup, optional
- Splash of olive oil, to finish soup, optional
- Grilled pita bread, for serving
- Soak chickpeas in water. Cover and Refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain.
- Sauté onions in olive oil on medium heat until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the carrot and celery, sauté until vegetables soften, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Add garlic and cumin and Greek oregano and continue to cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until garlic is golden. Add vegetable stock, chickpeas, lemon zest and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 40 to 45 minutes or until chickpeas are tender. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Add chopped fresh parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Serve soup hot with grilled pita bread. Makes 7 cups.
Dried chickpeas will double in volume when soaked. If you prefer, used 2 cups canned chickpeas. Serve this soup with grilled pita bread.
***Recipe slightly adjusted to make it vegan**